Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Getting Ready for Tournament Saturday

Whats up everyone?

So its now Tuesday morning and I have written a couple of list for this upcoming tournament on Saturday. Its going to be 1750 points, and with the new guard codex I am pretty nervous... With only 3 games under my belt with them, and only one being a win and the rest loses, (the third loss was too close to tell good game Alec) I'm getting pretty anxious about playing.

Before I go getting everyone all worried about me, let me tell you about my previous "competitive" game experiences. I played in previous 1750 list two months ago and placed 5th; not bad for the first time playing in the competitive scene. The second was a 2000 point list game and I place 4th, so I feel that I am getting better with my strategy and gaming all together. Now I'm going to get into what I feel will make me a better playing, admitting my mistakes, and acknowledging my flaws and what not? So here we go, maybe you can learn something as well?

1) In the first tournament, my biggest flaw was not knowing the rulebook inside out! If your going to play in a tournament know the rulebook! There were a couple of times that I would draw myself out into fire and completely forget that rule! Don't hang yourself, come prepared and ready to play having confidence in the rules!
Now the next thing, is still a flaw that I have to this day, not being experienced to different armies. Now I have played Space Marines and Necrons before this tournament. So going into the tournament unprepared (luckily everyone there was a Space marine player, with two Chaos players). And boy did the Chaos player (Adam, good opponent, was fair and I trusted his list) wake me up to the rest of the world!
Testing out list, there are so many list that I wanted to play but you can only take one list! Working full time, and having the best girlfriend in the world, makes it hard to get some test games in (Thursdays are dedicated 40k day!).

2)The next tournament I knew the rulebook inside and out. Boy did it make one big difference! Understanding the physics of the world that you are playing in will give you a surprising advantage. Those 95 pages are there to teach you to play and how to incorporate your grand strategy!
The next one that I would say can hold anyone who wants to become a good competitive player back from being the best. Is knowing ALL the codex(s) inside and out. When I played the other Imperial guard player we flew through the game, because we knew each other's stats and advantages!
Next, moral... Yes I failed my leadership as a commander... But you can be sure that I wont fail again! (but those big bugs were soooo big!!!!)

And I did do very well, I have found out that my Girlfriend is my official good luck charm! She was supportive (extremely!) and she was getting into it! (Possible new 40k player? Stay tuned!)

So now that I have seen what my weaknesses are I am going to incorporate them into a plan. First plan, make sure I can write the rulebook for anyone off the top of my head! Second, know more of the armies! Third, don't fail my leadership checks! Fourth go into take peoples heads! Fifth get my baby to bless my die!

Anyways off the the books to break a list for Saturday!(I'll never be happy!)

Stay tuned to hear back about how I did and what list I played with! And to see what Kristi's final statement on 40k is!

Ace

2 comments:

  1. Tell her I said to hurry up lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ace, whats up.
    That was an awesome game n I hope to play more like it.

    Good luck in the tournament
    -Alek

    ReplyDelete