Saturday, May 16, 2009

Tournament Saturday 05/16/09

Hello everyone!

So I just got back from my tournament today with my new Guard codex, I ran what I thought was a rather good balanced list. Here it is in its fullness, now what I'm going to do is break it down with what I thought was good, and what will change and what may change. With that being said lets break this list.

HQ
Company Command Squad
Company Commander
Veteran
-Vox-caster
Veteran
-Regimental Standard
3 Veterans
-3 Lasguns
Master of Ordnance
Officer of the fleet
2 Bodyguards
Total:160
Elites
Ratlings
-Sniper Rifles
Total:100
Storm Trooper Squad
Sergeant
-Power Weapon
9 Storm Troopers
-2 Meltaguns
Chimera
-Multi-laser
-Heavy Flamer
Total: 250
Troops
Infantry Platoon
Platoon Command Squad
Platoon Commander
Guardsmen
-Vox-caster
Guardsmen
-Meltagun
Total: 45
Infantry Squad
Sergeant
9 Guardsmen
-Vox-caster
-Meltagun
Total: 65
Infantry Squad
Sergeant
9 Guardsmen
-Vox-caster
-Auto Cannon
Total:65
Infantry Squad
Sergeant
9 Guardsmen
-Vox-caster
-Autocannon
Total: 65
Heavy Weapon Squad
3 Lascannons
Total:105
Heavy Weapon Squad
3 Heavy Bolters
Total: 75
Total Squad: 355

Veteran Squad
Sergeant Bastoone
9 Veterans
-2Plasma guns
-Heavy Flamer
-6 Shotguns
Grenadiers
Chimera
Multi-Laser
Heavy Flamer
Total: 265
Fast Attack
Hellhound Squadron
-1 Hellhound
-Inferno Cannon
-Multi-Melta
Total:145

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Squadron
-Leman Russ Punisher
-Punisher Gatling Cannon
-Heavy Bolter
-Smoke Launcher
-Searchlight
-Sponson Heavy Bolter
-Heavy Stubber
-Knight Commander Pask
Total: 270
Ordnance Battery
-Colossus
- Colossus Siege Mortar
-Heavy Bolter
-Searchlight
-Smoke launchers
Total: 140

Total:1750

So I took out the individual points for the troops, to keep people from free-dexing. So my Hq squad did what it was supposed to, give orders, keep reserves out as long as possible, re-group moral, and bombard from the sky! The master of ordnance is a great concept, but he keeps your commander from giving orders, so bear this in mind. Also 70 percent of the time he missed his target, or got a cover save (but orders can make them re-roll good cover saves) But all and all he can help as much as he can hurt.

Elites were perfect, flanking storm troopers in a chimera, wreck anything on that flank. Ratlings, wow i'll take an army of these little guys, killing smurfs, guards men, and even a Hive Tyrant! Also the infiltrate rule is killer for keeping people in check.. so look forward to seeing an infiltrating list soon.

Troops, in a few words, im done with infantry platoons with heavy list, but i still love the concept of mass infantry. But as far as running, the platoons, I'll take a rain check. But Veteran Squads are in my opinion the best way to go, they hit more, have the best upgrades and can still take orders from hqs!

Fast Attack, Hellhound traditionally is an anti-infantry tank, but i put a twist onto it, throw a multi-melta, and boom you have a 36"melta! Now since I'm getting rid of the lascannons out of the platoon, what will i take for tanks? Thats easy the vendetta, 3 lascannons, for 130 points, now here is the kicker, add better sight, better range, flexiblity, and oh yeah TWIN-LINKED! Thats right the new tank hunter is here, and in my new list (coming soon).

Heavy Support, oh my, colossus is a great piece of equipment, no cover and ap 3, okay done, enough said. The punisher, perhaps the greatest looking tank in the book, but not in play, with only 24" range, and no chance to scatter into another squad, whats the point? Good for fun but not for my competitive list.

So there is the break down of my list, and my thoughts on it, if you played me today, or saw me play. Post what you think about my list that's what this is for!

But the games were fun, first round was jordan and his space marines, great player, great list, just unlucky rolls. But man do I officially hate drop pods! I wish I could contest an objective turn one!

Game two was josh and his guard, Josh was fun, we tied, but it was a great game, full of epic faliures and mass troops being picked up, i look forward to playing again with this guy!

Game three, Jay, Nids.... Nidzilla, nuff said! I lost but man was this a funny game to play, I dont know if it was shrek or if it was the fact that the most random rolls happened this game. But it was a fun game.

Well thats all, next up is my new competitive list, after a nap, and work. But stay tuned! and get out there and post!

Ace

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, the Punisher wasn't exactly the best choice. I would've taken a regular Russ any day over that. Methinks that they really only excel in Apoc or large point games where 3+ (in a squadron or not) can eat large ork/gaunt mobs without a second thought. Unfortunately, marines are small armies, as was Shrek and his nids. By the way, how was the punisher in the 2nd battle? I didn't see it.

    Oh yeah, Ratlings rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm second game, it killed Ratlings.. lol and a couple of guardsmen until it met its brother Demolisher in the face!

    Thanks for the feed back!

    Keep posting!

    Ace

    ReplyDelete
  3. ow...

    But A Vendetta is a great choice for anti-tank crap. Are you going to run reg. Russes or plasma ones?

    I need to bring my Fists/Nids next time to play on you guys. Get ready to feel the pain!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out my blog you inspired me to create.
    40kHeresy.blogspot.com (WIP)

    can't upload a bloody pic.:/

    ReplyDelete